If you are a first-time mom, you should be aware that it is natural for children to get sick before they become one year old. The irony of it all is that they are unable to relay that they are not feeling well. The only thing they can do is cry. As a mom, you may get jittery at not knowing why your child is crying.
You checked his diapers and he is dry. You have just fed him and you know he is not hungry. You touch his forehead and you feel he is hot. That is not enough though. You need a good and accurate baby thermometer to tell how sick your child is to know how to best remedy the situation.
An accurate baby thermometer is something moms with infants and toddlers should not be without. If your baby is less than 4 months old, a low fever can be a symptom of something serious like an illness or an infection.
You just cannot buy any thermometer. You need to choose a thermometer made especially for babies. There are quite a good number of baby thermometers. Some are more accurate than the others. Here is a guide to the types of baby thermometers available and everything you need to know about each type. This guide will help you choose which baby thermometer is most ideal for your baby.
10 Best Baby Thermometer Reviews
1. Braun Thermometer
- Large color-coded screen for fever detection
- Non-invasive convenience
- Professional accuracy by gentle swiping the forehead
- Easy to use and measures in just seconds
- Safe and hygenic - no probe covers needed
- this is a non-returnable item
This forehead thermometer is of the no touch type. Swipe this thermometer through your baby’s forehead and within a few seconds, you will have an accurate temperature measurement. This is an easy to use product made easier with the instructions printed right on the thermometer. It only has 2 easy to use buttons. An on/off button at the bottom of the thermometer and a green button below the screen which is pressed as the thermometer is swiped across baby’s forehead.
It comes with a wide enough screen with backlight to easily view the temperature measurement even in the dark. The screen changes color depending on the calculated temperature: Green signifies baby is fine, Yellow means baby is running a slight fever and red means, he’s got a high fever.
Features and Specifications:
Fast and Accurate – Within seconds of swiping this thermometer across baby’s forehead, you will be able to get baby’s accurate temperature. Temperature measurements are shown on the screen in seconds unlike other thermometers of the same kind where you need to wait for about a minute.
No Touch – There is no need to position the thermometer in the armpit or mouth of your baby. You just need to swipe the device across baby’s forehead to get his temperature. There is no need to touch a jittery baby to take his temperature.
Fever Guide – Even if you do not memorize at what body temperature baby is regarded as having a fever, this thermometer will guide you through. The screen changes color to tell you the meaning of your baby’s temperature reading. Green means his temperature is normal. Yellow means he has a slight fever and red means he really is sick.
Easy to Read Screen – The screen displays temperature readings in big numbers. It also has a backlight so even when dark you will be able to easily see the numbers.
✓ Easy to use in restless babies and toddlers.
✓ Temperature readings within 3 seconds.
✓ Large screen with backlight.
✓ The screen is color-coded to show the severity of baby’s body temperature.
✗ No built-in memory of temperature readings.
✗ Celsius temperature readings not available.
✗ Too loud beep sound upon recording of body temperature
2. Braun ThermoScan 5 Ear Thermometer
- Braun ThermoScan5 Ear Thermometer is gentle, safe and easy to use on the entire family.
- Used by more pediatricians' offices than any other infrared thermometer brand, the IRT6500 thermometer features a pre-warmed tip that helps ensure accuracy.
- ExacTemp positioning system confirms good thermometer position in the ear with a light and a beep to ensure accurate temperature measurement.
- Memory function recalls the last temperature reading on the thermometer allowing you to keep track of fluctuations with a large, easy to read digital display.
- 2 AA batteries, 21 lens filters and protective case included.
This ear baby thermometer requires no mastery on how best to position it to get an accurate temperature measurement. The screen will flash when you have not positioned it the right way so it is impossible that you will not get an accurate reading. It also comes with a pre-warmed tip to ensure you will always get an accurate reading.
This baby thermometer comes with a convenient last temperature reading memory for easy comparison of temperature readings. It also comes with 21 lens filters so your thermometer is also in top shape. A protective case makes sure it is always safely stored. This thermometer is powered by 2 AA batteries (included).
Features and Specifications:
Pre-warmed Tip – This baby thermometer has a pre-warmed tip. A cool tip inserted into the ear can affect the accuracy of the temperature measurement. The pre-warmed tip is also comfortable for your baby.
Fast and Accurate – The pre-warmed tip that is also flexible allows the temperature of your baby to be taken in 3 seconds. Your baby will not even notice that you have inserted something into his ear. The built-in positioning system ensures you are getting accurate results. The flexible tip is gentle and soft which will not further make your baby irritable and upset.
Memory Recall – This thermometer is equipped with a 9 temperature reading memory recall function. This is convenient when you need to show the doctor the last few temperatures of your baby for easy and fast diagnosis.
Easy to Use – The built-in guidance system gives off a beep to let you know that the thermometer has been positioned the right way on your baby’s ear for an accurate reading. The large screen comes with a backlight so you can view the readings even in the dark. It will not disturb your baby’s sleep as the infrared technology ensures an accurate reading in only 3 seconds.
✓ Pre-warmed tip for accuracy.
✓ Guidance/ positioning system ensures accurate results.
✓ Accurate reading in 3 seconds.
✓ 9 temperature readings recall memory.
✗ The screen does not come with a backlight.
3. Innovo Forehead and Ear Thermometer
It is a wonder why this superb forehead and ear thermometer is a contact (touches the skin) type of thermometer when most of the thermometers these days are non-contact. However, the accuracy and reliability of this thermometer have more than made up for it. This thermometer comes always highly recommended by pediatricians.
This thermometer is easy to use. Just press F1 or F2 to allow the thermometer to get take accurate readings either through the forehead or ear. It is recommended though to take temperatures through the ears when your child is over 1 year old. Temperature readings are available in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. It is powered by 3 Triple A batteries (included) good for a thousand readings per set.
Features and Specifications:
Accurate and Reliable – The Infra-red Detection Technology within this thermometer allows for its accurate and reliable temperature readings. Temperatures within the environment is filtered through its Reflective Finishing so only the child’s temperature is measured. To maintain the accuracy and reliability, it must always be kept clean, and free of dirt and oil. Its sensor is highly sensitive so it should be kept gleaming and reflective at all times. Clean with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol.
CE and FDA Approved – The AccuSence™ sensor is responsible for the accuracy of this thermometer to detect temperatures. It is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It also is CE-marked which means it has been approved by the European Union (EU) as well.
Quick and Continuous Temperature Taking – This thermometer is equipped with top of the line software so there is no need to wait for minutes in between two temperature measurements.
20 Temperature Reading Memory – There is no need to jot down temperatures to monitor your child’s fever. This thermometer has a built-in memory to store the last 20 temperatures.
Fever Indicator – This feature sends off an alarm through fast and short beeps and blinking lights when temperature taken is over 99.50F (37.50C). This is the threshold temperature of a fever. This is a warning that your baby’s fever is alarming.
Easy to Use – Press F1 to detect forehead temperature and F2 to detect infrared heat coming out of your child’s ear. The digital screen is large and shows clear temperature readings. Temperature readings glow in the dark, too. It is also easy to handle and the F1 and F2 buttons can be easily reached by your thumb when aiming at either the forehead or ear.
✓ Infrared sensors are extremely sensitive.
✓ Highest rated forehead baby and adult thermometer for home and hospital use.
✓ Extremely durable.
✓ Provides accurate temperature measurements.
✗ Heavy construction.
4. Medical Ear Thermometer with Forehead Function
- CONSISTENT AND RELIABLE Ear Thermometer with Forehead function (Dual Mode) - the easiest and most practical way to take a body temperature.
- Clinical Thermometer - UNMATCHED PERFORMANCE with REVOLUTIONIZED CALIBRATION TECHNOLOGY - Clinically calibrated for medical use. Delivers temperature readings with Unfailing Accuracy and very fast.
- PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT - Trusted by Pediatricians and Medical Professionals, this thermometer is the #1 CLINICALLY Tested and SECURE solution for All Ages.
- HASSLE FREE - With just 2 buttons, Head and Ear, this electronic thermometer is very easy to use. The thermometer reads in 1 second and a loud enough beep will notify you it is done. It comes with fever alarm, it requires no covers and the last 20 readings can be easily recalled.
- When you ORDER TODAY, you're protected by a 100 day, no-questions asked money back guarantee and world class customer service.
This baby thermometer can be used to take temperatures in both the ear and forehead. It has proven to be a reliable and consistent. It comes with the Infrared Lens Technology to ensure maximum accuracy. This thermometer is powered by triple A batteries. It also comes with a soft pouch for protection and to keep it always clean.
The clinical calibration of this thermometer makes it a favorite of doctors as accurate readings are available in a few seconds. Ear temperature readings are always reliable when taken with a reliable thermometer. That is what makes this iProven ear and forehead baby thermometer most trusted by medical professionals. This thermometer is FDA approved.
Features and Specifications:
Dual Function – This iProven baby thermometer can be used in both forehead and ear for quick temperature taking.
Fast and Accurate – This thermometer comes with a hassle-free operation. Accurate temperature readings are available within 1 second. A beep sound signals that temperature taking is done. An alarm will also set off when the temperature of your baby is over 99.5°F which means that he is running a high fever. Accuracy ratio is a cool ±0.2˚C /±0.4˚F.
Unique Calibration Technology – The unique calibration which ensures reliability and accuracy make this thermometer good enough as a medical equipment. It has been calibrated to suit the requirements of doctors. Medical professionals recommend this product for babies, older kids and adults.
Easy to Use – This thermometer comes with 2 easy to use buttons. One each for the forehead and ear. Only 1 second is required to get a temperature reading and beeps when done. It does not come with a cap so it is instantly ready to use. It comes with a large screen and a backlight for easy reading of results.
Memory Recall Function – The past 20 temperature readings are conveniently stored for easy tracking of baby’s temperatures for easy and fast consultation with your doctor.
✓ Works on both forehead and ear.
✓ Easy to use for babies, older children and adults.
✓ Fast, accurate and reliable.
✓ Large easy to read screen with backlight.
✗ Cannot turn off high fever alarm.
✗ Does not include a temperature guide.
✗ Probe needs careful protection.
5. Generation Guard Clinical Digital Thermometer Oral Rectal Underarm & Axillary for Baby
- RAPIDLY MEASURE kids, infants, adults and animals FOUR TIMES FASTER than conventional competitors orally & rectally utilizing Generation Guard's superior microchip and highly sensitive accurate dual mode tip sensor best for mouth, anal and armpit use
- ENJOY CONFIDENCE in the CLINICAL ACCURACY and RELIABILITY of your premium health care thermometer with our improved build quality. Look no further this is FDA and European APPROVED by regulators as medical supplies for the home or workplace
- JOIN THE HAPPY CLUB of 1000+ FIVE STAR REVIEWS Thousands of customers who agree that this is the best digital medical thermometer they've had and the best MERCURY FREE GLASS ALTERNATIVE with a versatile Fahrenheit & Celsius degree option
- SAFE and COMFORTABLE reading of basal body temperature BBT for ovulation and featuring FLEXIBLE tip and WATERPROOF design with the comfort and safety of your beloved kid, infant, and toddler in mind approved by professionals
- ADD TO CART NOW you are protected by our 30 day NO QUESTIONS asked money back guarantee. Clinical Digital Thermometers purchased from Generation Guard come with a 30 day money back guarantee. If you're not happy with the product for any reason, simply return it for a full refund.This manufacturer's warranty applies ONLY to purchases made from Generation Guard.
This Generation Guard thermometer has everything you need from a digital thermometer. It takes only a short 15 seconds to get temperature readings. Oral, rectal and under the arm temperature readings are possible. It can be washed as it is waterproof. It is approved by both the FDA and the European Union.
This digital thermometer goes with an intuitive screen and is used and recommended by medical practitioners. This thermometer shifts between Fahrenheit and Celsius with so much ease. It comes with a convenient hard case.
Features and Specifications:
Multi-Function – The flexible tip of this thermometer allows it to take accurate temperatures readings of the entire family. Its dual mode tip is highly sensitive. It is also equipped with a superb microchip so it can easily and accurately be used in mouth, rectum and armpit. It is also compact and highly portable. The rectal mode is best for newborns.
Fast and Accurate – In 10 seconds, you will be able to get an accurate temperature reading. You can even take temperatures one after the other and still get accurate readings. It comes with an accuracy ratio of to 0.2 Fahrenheit or 0.1 Celsius.
Easy to Use – This thermometer only comes with 1 button. It comes with a simple operation so you do not get confused on how to use it. It comes with a large easy to read the screen. It does not come with a backlight but the reading freezes for a couple of seconds so you can move to a lighted area. A beep sound is heard once temperature reading is done.
Ideal for All Ages – This thermometer can be used on babies, older children and adults.
✓ FDA and EU approved
✓ Oral, rectal and axillary modes
✓ Comfortable flexible tip
✓ Fast and accurate 10-second reading
✗ No backlight
✗ Fever alarm is sometimes faulty.
✗ Beep sound can be hard to hear especially when the baby is crying.
6. Kinsa Smart Stick Digital Thermometer
- Pediatrician-recommended fast, accurate, reliable thermometer for all ages with no batteries so it always works
- Kinsa's free app gives you more than a number readout - it guides you on what to do next.
- Get personalized guidance on how & when to soothe symptoms, take meds and call the doctor
- Keep each family member's health details in your pocket for you or your pediatrician
- Compatible with all iPhones 5 and up (including iPhone 8 and X) and all most major Android devices (see "Compatible With" section below); Kinsa plugs straight into your iOS or Android device (you will need your lightning port adapter if your phone uses a lightning port for headphones), giving an accurate reading on the free app in seconds.
- Works as a baby thermometer rectally, or with oral and underarm use for people of all ages
This is a super hi-tech baby thermometer. This thermometer is capable of rectal, oral and underarm temperature measurements. Check with your pediatrician on the best method to use for your baby. This thermometer is for use with your Android or iOS smartphone thus it does not need any batteries and there are no buttons to press. Simply plug in the thermometer into your smartphone’s headphone jack.
It comes with a free app to guide you on the right way to position the thermometer to ensure an accurate temperature measurement. The app also allows you to write some notes track temperatures, symptoms and medications.
Features and Specifications:
Lightweight, Portable and Easy to Clean – At only 8” x 3.5” x 1.5:” and 5.6 ounces, this is a lightweight and ultra-portable thermometer that looks just like a pen. It is convenient to slip into your purse when going to the doctor. It only requires soap and water or a cotton swab soak in alcohol to clean.
More than Just a Baby Thermometer – This thermometer does more than just take your baby’s temperature measurement. The Health Tracker App (free download for both Android and iPhones) provides real-time help to moms on what next to do given the baby’s temperature or what the temperature measurement means. It also reminds you when to administer meds to your baby as well as the right dosage. It will also alert when to call your doctor should symptoms get worst.
You can encode the medical profiles of all your kids and yourself in the app for easy reference. It also comes with a bubble popping game to keep baby still and entertained while his temperature is being taken
Quick Temperature Measurement Taking – All it takes is 10 seconds or even less to take a temperature measurement. Should the thermometer move while your baby’s temperature is still being taken, the app will advise you to position the thermometer once again. This is to ensure an accurate reading.
FDA Approved for Accuracy – This thermometer has passed both US and international standards for accuracy and reliability. It has also been given the seal of professional accuracy by the FDA. The thermometer along with its app comes highly recommended by pediatricians.
Sleek and Easy to Use – This Kinsa wand comes in a modern design. It is as easy to hold as a pen. It is easy to use too as all you need to do is connect it to your smartphone and position it for either rectal, oral or underarm temperature measurements. Most pediatricians though recommend that the rectal temperature measurement is used on babies since this thermometer comes with a tip that is flexible. The app is user-friendly too.
✓ User-friendly app
✓ Does not need batteries
✓ Ideal for rectal, oral or underarm temperature measurement methods
✓ Stores temperature records
✗ Needs to be used with a smartphone
✗ Baby needs to be extremely still to ensure an accurate temperature measurement
7. Dr Madre Medical Infrared Talking Forehead Baby Thermometer
- INFRARED THERMOMETER - Non-contact digital thermometer provides most accurate and consistent results
- BEST BABY THERMOMETER Forehead instant read thermometer for kids or adults is touchless and painless
- MEDICAL THERMOMETER DIGITAL reading or talking in English, Spanish, or Silent mode laser thermometer
- FOREHEAD THERMOMETERS - Best infant thermometer for fever monitoring with backlit LCD display
- TEMPORAL THERMOMETER Adult and Seniors temple temperature scanning digital thermometer medical accuracy
This forehead non-touch digital thermometer for babies comes highly recommended by doctors and approved by a lot of moms. It uses infrared to read a baby’s temperature in just 1 second. With this thermometer, taking your baby’s temperature will no longer be a struggle. It will also not wake your baby because of its non-touch feature.
This thermometer allows you to either read or hear the temperature readings. It runs on 2 AAA batteries than be recharged. It comes with a durable plastic carrying case that has room to store extra batteries. This thermometer can talk!
Features and Specifications:
No Touch Function – This function allows you to take your child’s temperature without the need to touch him. The infrared technology built-in within the thermometer. It has a laser light that detects temperatures when you swipe your baby’s forehead.
Fast and Accurate – You will be able to get his body temperature 1 second after swiping the thermometer on your baby’s forehead. It works through the infrared technology thus it is extremely accurate and consistent.
Memory Recall Function – For added convenience, this thermometer is equipped with a 12 temperature reading memory recall function. This is good enough for 2 days’ worth of temperature readings assuming you take temperatures every 4 hours.
Talking Thermometer – Read or listen to temperature readings. This thermometer speaks in English, Spanish, Fahrenheit or Centigrade. If you just want to read the temperature measurements in the screen display with a backlight so you do not disturb a sleeping child, you can turn off the sound and go on silent mode.
Easy to Use – Position yourself 2 to 4 inches way from your child’s forehead. Press the start button and scan his forehead. When temperature reading is ready you will hear a beep sound. You will then be able to listen or read the temperature of your child.
✓ Comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty
✓ Good quality
✓ Easy to use
✓ Accurate and effective
✗ Beep alarm cannot be turned off
8. Enji prime Digital Medical Thermometer
- 💪 KNOWLEDGE IS POWER... As the mother of the home, we know how important it is for you to feel equipped with the right knowledge and tools to help keep your family safe and healthy. Our premium FDA Approved Digital Thermometers provide an accurate and fast reading of your child's temperature in 10 seconds. There is great power when you have our high-end thermometer on hand in your medicine cabinet,
- 📖LEARN FROM OUR USEFUL "HOME REMEDIES E-BOOK!" As an extra bonus for being our amazing customer, we also provide you with our free e-book that is chock full of useful and helpful solutions to help heal common ailments. You'll find helpful ideas to heal stomaches, runny noses, acne, depression, bug bites and more at the tip of your fingers. And the remedies are from items you probably already have in your home like lettuce, milk, ginger, and garlic to name a few. Happy Reading!
- 🐻 CHOOSE THE BEST FOR YOUR BABY! We know you feel like a momma bear when it comes to protecting and keeping your precious baby safe and healthy. We are so grateful for wonderful, capable, strong mothers like you in the world! We want to support you in your huge role as caregiver, by offering you a safe, accurate, and easy-to-use digital thermometer that is FDA Approved and backed by a full lifetime guarantee. Your complete satisfaction is immensely important to us!
- 🎁 MAKES A THOUGHTFUL BABY SHOWER GIFT! If you are looking for a premium baby shower gift that the mom-to-be will love and use often, then you have found a winner with our FDA Approved Digital Medical Thermometers. It comes with a sanitary storage case, a battery, and probe covers so it is ready to use when it arrives at your door.
- ENJOY OUR LIFETIME "ACCURATE TEMPERATURE GUARANTEE! We don't mess around when it comes to providing top products and premium support to our customers. We promise to always treat you right with exceptional customer care. If you are not completely satisfied with the speed and accuracy of your Enji Thermometer, we will provide you with a full money-back guarantee. You can click the "Add to Cart Button" today with total confidence in our company!
This digital thermometer is ideal to use for infants, babies, adults and even animals. It can give accurate temperature readings in as fast as 10 seconds. It has a one button operation and temperature measurements are shown in either Fahrenheit or Centigrade. This thermometer can be used for oral, rectal or axillary armpit temperature measurements.
This thermometer is made of non-toxic materials and comes in a sturdy plastic case for easy storing. It is approved by the US FDA and CE (Europe).
Features and Specifications:
Fast and Accurate – Accurate and consistent temperature measurements are available within 10 seconds.
Easy to Use – This thermometer comes with a flexible tip so infants and babies are comfortable while their temperatures are being taken. It is waterproof so it can be washed to keep it always clean and sanitary.
Multi- Function – Temperature measurements to detect whether any member of the family is running a fever can be taken through rectal, oral and axillary ways. It can even be used with your pets.
✓ Waterproof for easy cleaning
✓ Fast and precise
✗ Needs to be clean after each use
9. Metene Digital Infrared Non-Contact Forehead Thermometer for Baby
This non-contact versatile thermometer uses the infrared technology to take temperature measurements. It is equipped with a superior chip that allows it to make fast and accurate readings. It has a simple one-button operation and can easily shift from Fahrenheit to Celsius readings.
This thermometer is powered by 2 (AAA) batteries and is approved for safe and precise use by the FDA and the European CE. This versatile thermometer can easily achieve instant results for babies, toddlers adults and objects.
Features and Specifications:
Fast and Accurate – In 1 second after scanning your baby’s forehead, you will instantly get to know his temperature. It is not only a fast thermometer, it is highly accurate too as it comes with a Hospital Grade Accuracy.
Multi-Purpose – This thermometer scans foreheads of babies, toddlers and adults to take their temperature. It also can measure the temperature of a baby’s bottle and even a room.
Easy to Use and Read – This non-contact digital thermometer is very user-friendly. With a simple push of a button, you will be able to scan your baby’s forehead to get his temperature. It does not come with a beep sound when reading is done so it will not wake up your sleeping child. A button is intuitive so in a flash, it can shift from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. To take your baby’s temperature, position the thermometer about 1 to 5 cm from the baby’s forehead and scan. Once done, results will be shown in the easy to read display with backlight.
✓ Result achieved in 1 second
✓ Can measure temperature of baby bottle and room
✗ No beep sound to signal successful reading
10. TempIR Body Temperature Thermometer
- ** SPECIAL PRICE AND RISK FREE ** The ONLY Non Contact Thermometer with a LIFETIME PRODUCT REPLACEMENT Guarantee.
- EASY TO USE, HYGIENIC AND NON-INVASIVE: Backlit Digital Display Screen. Just Point and Click from 5cm away from side of the forehead without disturbing or touching the patient and avoiding cross contamination.
- FAST AND RELIABLE: Advanced Infrared Detection System in Celsius or Fahrenheit. Auto power off after 30 seconds to preserve battery life thereby saving money. Longevity use (40,000 reading). 2 AAA batteries are included. Sound/Silent button WONT WAKE sleeping baby.
- MULTI-FUNCTION TEMPERATURE GAUGE: Stores previous 32 temperatures. Audible alarm for high temperature. Also take surface, water, body and air temperatures.
- PROFESSIONAL AND HOME USE: Used by Pediatricians and Health Care Specialists. FDA and CE approved and pediatrician recommended ***WANT MORE!!! THEN SEE THE NEW TEMPIR DUAL THERMOMETER- TAKES READINGS FROM THE EAR AND FOREHEAD***
This non-contact forehead digital thermometer measures baby, child and adult temperatures through the infrared technology. It is also able to measure room and surface temperatures. It is equipped with an alarm that sounds when a person’s temperature is at a critical level. Being accurate and consistent, this thermometer is widely used by medical and healthcare professionals. It also comes with an FDA approval and a CE certification. It also features an alarm that sounds off when the temperature is at a critical level.
Features and Specifications:
Fast and Accurate – The Infrared Detection System of this digital thermometer gives readings in Fahrenheit and Centigrade units. It saves battery life by automatically shutting off after not being in use for 30 seconds. Only 2 two AA batteries are needed to power this thermometer and it can make up to 40,000 readings. It also comes with sound and silent options. It comes with a Lifetime replacement guarantee.
Easy to Use and Read – This thermometer takes temperatures by detecting infrared rays that the temporal artery emits. The temporal artery is located just below the forehead’s surface. To take a person’s temperature, position yourself about 3 to 5 cm from the person whose temperature you are taking. Point the thermometer to his temporal artery. Within seconds, the display screen with large numbers and backlight will show the temperature reading.
Memory Recall Function – For easy reference, this thermometer is equipped with a 32 reading memory to recall feature.
Convenient and Hygienic – Being a non-contact thermometer, it is hygienic even if used by the entire family. There will be no spreading of germs and infection. There is no need to constantly clean or sterilize probes to keep them clean.
This thermometer is convenient for use with infants because you do not need to insert it into his ears. Additionally, studies have shown that taking temperatures through the temporal artery is a more precise, accurate and better-tolerated way than the axillary and tympanic temperature taking method.
Versatile – Other than checking body temperatures, this thermometer can read liquid, room, and surface and basal body temperatures.
✓ Easy to use
✓ Sound can be shut off
✓ Thousands of readings per battery set
✗ Room temperature reading is not very accurate
Using a Baby Thermometer
You are the best judge to know when your baby is running a fever. When you touch your baby, you will be able to decipher whether he is hotter than how he normally is. If he is unruly or jittery than he normal is, chances are he has a higher than normal temperature. Usually, a fever is a sign of something more serious. Before calling a doctor, take your baby’s temperature because he will surely ask for that information.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), a rectal temperature of 100.40F means your baby has a fever. Healthy babies have a temperature of between 970F and 1000F. Body temperatures during the night is usually higher than during the day. A baby’s temperature depends on his activities too. The best time to take your baby’s temperature is:
- About 15 minutes after your baby had a cold liquid or a hot drink.
- About 15 minutes after taking a warm bath.
- About 5 minutes after unbundling your baby.
Most baby thermometers are the digital type. Avoid submerging them in water. After every use, wipe it with rubbing alcohol or wash with warm soapy water.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a baby thermometer
This is a device that reads, calculates and displays the body temperature of your baby. These devices are specially designed to complement your baby’s small shape and size.
- Why should I have a baby thermometer?
Your baby cries when he is hungry, wet or not feeling well. When you have just fed him and his diaper is dry and comfortable there is way you can tell why he is crying. If you have a baby thermometer, you can immediately take his temperature to check if a fever can be the cause of his crying. Knowing the reason why your baby is crying or unruly will allow you take the necessary actions. A baby thermometer will always be your go to device
Types of Baby Thermometers
It may take a minute or two to take your baby’s temperature with a rectal thermometer. It can also be uncomfortable for your baby. It will however always give you results that are accurate and reliable. If you will be opting for this type of thermometer, choose the one that has a wide base and a tip that is flexible. With this modern design, you will not have to insert the thermometer too deep which can be dangerous.
Rectal thermometers are cheap, accurate and ideal for newborns. Make sure to choose a good brand because these type of baby thermometer sometimes just stop working.
Temporal Artery or Forehead Thermometer
This is the newest type of baby thermometer. It is also the most expensive. It scans and measures the temperature of the temporal artery of your baby’s forehead with the use of the infrared technology. They are accurate, convenient and safe because the temperature is taken without touching your baby. It is easy to use and is ideal for babies over 3 months old. If used with younger babies, a rectal thermometer should double check the temperature reading. Make sure though that baby’s forehead is not sweaty as it will give an inaccurate reading.
Axillary or Armpit Thermometer
This type of thermometer is placed on your baby’s armpit. They are cheap, easy and safe to use, but should be your last choice. It can be difficult to use on a wiggling baby. Although this type is the least invasive, it is also the least accurate. It can tell if your baby is running a temperature but will not give you his right temperature. It is best used prior to using a rectal thermometer which will give an accurate reading.
Ear Canal Thermometer
This type of baby thermometer is a popular choice. It is easy to use as it is just positioned on baby’s ear. It is only slightly invasive but accurate readings cannot be achieved for babies under 6 months old because of their narrow ear canal. For older babies though, it will give you an accurate temperature reading as long as it is positioned at the right angle. It gives a quick temperature reading once you have mastered its right positioning.
Temperature readings are taken in the carotid artery located behind the ear, near the hollow portion. It functions similarly as a temporal artery thermometer and is also basically new in the market. They can be used even on a sleeping baby but its accuracy still needs to be established.
This type of thermometer can be used only for babies over 4 years old. It is placed under the baby’s tongue and can give accurate readings. This type of thermometer is cheap.
In this age of computers, baby thermometers are not left out. A Smart baby thermometer can be used with any of your electronic devices. These baby thermometers are either rectal, oral, ear or underarm types. Readings are sent to your electronic device through a WiFi connection.
Stay Away from These Baby Thermometers
Some moms find it cool to try something new. With baby thermometers, it is best to stick to the tried and tested ones. Pacifier and wearable (bracelet) thermometers as well a temperature strips are extremely easy to use but are very inaccurate. Buying one of these is a total waste of money.
Mercury thermometers are a thing of the past! Avoid using this type at all cost because they have been proven to be extremely dangerous. The thermometer and break and leach out its mercury content which can cause toxic fumes. These types of thermometers have long been banned and are no longer available in stores. But just in case you still have an old one, throw it away!
Any list of needed baby things will always include a baby thermometer. Moms ate always secured when they have a thermometer to rely on whenever baby turns jittery, unruly or is continuously crying.
Taking a bay’s temperature is not just a matter of using any thermometer available. The thermometer you need to use is one that is accurate and highly reliable. Although most thermometers are relatively cheap, you shouldn’t simply go for the cheapest. Just the one with a proven track record. Choose the one with features that you need and you find convenient.
Most pediatricians recommend that from birth until about three mo9nts, a rectal thermometer is the most accurate and reliable. If you want to use a forehead thermometer, you still need to double check with a rectal thermometer. If your baby is older than 3 months, a forehead thermometer is ideal.
A temporal artery thermometer is not easy to use but with practice, you will be able to master using it. Non-contact thermometers are one of the best innovations. When a baby is sick, they usually get jerky when touch and taking their temperature can be a struggle.
Non-contact thermometers take away the struggle so you can take a fast and accurate temperature. With the right temperature reading, you can now deal with your baby’s fever the right way.