Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant, ordered the offer of the day, absolutely loved it, but had no idea how they made it? The world, please allow me to introduce an “ancient Chinese secret” i.e. the Wok. It is a wide, circular shaped, round-bottomed cooking vessel, and it is one of the most popular cooking utensils not only in China but in the rest of Asia too. The increasing popularity of the wok has led to the introduction of an electric wok, also known as the “home-friendly” version of the wok.
The old, conventional woks from China, are made of non-stick cast iron, carbon steel or aluminum. The wok can be used to prepare food in a range of different Chinese cooking techniques, for example, stir frying, pan frying, deep frying, searing, steaming, etc.
The most distinguishing feature, and pretty much the point of the wok is its rounded bottom. Because of it, very little cooking oil is used, the cooking temperature is distributed evenly, and the ingredients are easy to toss around so that they don’t burn up.
There are also “flat bottomed” woks available on sale, but don’t be fooled; those are just deep frying pans. A Wok should have a round bottom.
- 10 Best Electric Woks For Sale In 2017
- 1. Presto 5900 1500-Watt Stainless-Steel Electric Wok
- 2. Aroma Housewares AEW-305 Electric Wok
- 3. Breville EW30XL Electric Gourmet Wok
- 4. Aroma Housewares AEW-306 5-Quart Electric Wok
- 5. Breville BEW600XL Hot Wok
- 6. West Bend 79586 6-Quart Capacity Electric Wok
- 7. Oster 4.5 Liter DuraCeramic Wok
- 8. VillaWare 5530 Classic Electric Wok
- 9. Starfrit The ROCK Electric Wok
- 10. Meyer Electric Wok 14″
What is an electric wok?
Well, an electric wok is like a traditional wok, but unlike the traditional one, this one does not require a peculiar stovetop or a dedicated oven to cook food.
The electric wok has a built-in heating element which can be activated when we plug it into an outlet. This way, the electric wok is far more convenient and easier to use than its traditional counterpart. More to it, it’s portable, so you could enjoy the delicate taste of Asia, even if you are camping, provided that you have access to electricity, of course.
But, due to safety regulations, the electric wok’s temperature must be capped, which means that it cannot get as hot as the traditional wok.
Nevertheless, people who have used the electric woks have been satisfied with the results, so that is why we are going to present the ten best electric woks available on the market today.
10 Best Electric Woks For Sale In 2017
1. Presto 5900 1500-Watt Stainless-Steel Electric Wok
- Easy-to-use electric wok with a durable stainless-steel body
- 1500-watt heating element; aluminum-clad base for fast, even heating
- Side loop handles; tempered-glass cover with stainless-steel rim and handle
- Long-handled wooden spatula included; dishwasher-safe wok and lid
- Measures 17 by 14 by 10 inches
The most popular product in this category comes from Presto. It is an electric wok made of durable stainless steel, which sports a 1500 watt heating element. The aluminum-clad base is here to ensure that the temperature is distributed evenly.
There are four sturdy legs to keep it stable and prevent it from tipping over. This is especially important because we are talking about a cooking vessel that measures 17’’ x 14’’ x 10’’, which will become very, very hot. There are also loop handles on the sides and a tempered glass lid, with stainless steel rim and handle.
It is advised to use wooden or bamboo-made kitchen utensils to prepare the food with a wok, and luckily, there is one wooden spatula included in the package. The wok and the glass lid are completely dishwasher safe, so cleaning the wok is quite simple and easy.
This electric wok from Presto comes at a very reasonable price, so it’s no wonder it is hugely loved and popular among the customers.
2. Aroma Housewares AEW-305 Electric Wok
- Large 7 quart capacity with high domed lid
- Rapid heat-up with consistent heat retention
- Full-range temperature control
- Durable nonstick coating
- Cool-touch base and handles
Whoa, that’s a big one! This wok is so big, you can plant the vegetables you would like to use in your meal, and then prepare them when they are ready!
The large capacity pot will give you the confidence to experiment with larger quantities and extra ingredients. Both the wok and the lid are coated with a non-stick layer, so cleaning is a small breeze. The temperature control will let you choose if you want an extra hot stir fry from rice and veggies, or maybe keep the prepared meal warm for serving.
Please have in mind that, even though the handles and base are heat resistant, it is better to place the wok on a heat proof surface, just to be on the safe side.
This electric wok from Aroma Housewares comes at an extremely affordable price and a one year warranty. Excellent choice!
3. Breville EW30XL Electric Gourmet Wok
- 18-1/6 by 15-1/6 by 7-7/8-Inch; weighs 11-4/5-pound.
- Quick-release removable base is dishwasher-safe
- Heavy glass lid with steam vent and stainless-steel rim
- 4-Layer quantanium non-stick cooking surface
- Butterfly element with 14 heat settings plus a high sear option
The first electric wok from Breville on our list is a bit difficult to come by, and there is a reason for that. This one also offers a generous capacity for you to go wild with your cooking, regardless if you are following a recipe, or experimenting with ingredients.
The heavy glass lid with stainless steel rim will make sure that no air gets out, and the food cooks in its juices and flavors. There is also a four layer protective, non-stick coating, which makes the wok easy to clean, but also ensures a long time service.
The temperature control knob has 14 levels, plus the “high sear” setting, which makes the wok cook at very high temperatures, thus creating that specific crispy quality on the cooked meat.
When you have prepared your meal, just disconnect the quick-release base and put everything (except the temperature control knob and the power cord, of course) in the dishwasher.
This electric wok is not available at the moment, but a large number of satisfied customers, and very high average satisfaction score lead to a conclusion that we are dealing with a high-quality product sold at a reasonable price.
4. Aroma Housewares AEW-306 5-Quart Electric Wok
- Large 5-quart capacity with high domed lid
- Rapid heat-up with consistent heat retention
- Full-range temperature control
- Durable nonstick coating
- Cool-touch base and handles
- 5-year warranty for customer peace of mind
And now, let’s present the second member of the Aroma Housewares family on our list, shall we? Here we have a small and compact, but still very capable electric wok. It has a full range temperature control and manages to heat-up in a matter of seconds.
The durable non-stick coating comes naturally, of course. The tempered glass lid with a stainless steel rim is here to keep the flavors from escaping.
Unlike the previous one from Aroma Housewares, this electric wok comes with long cooking chopsticks, steam rack, and tempura rack. The handles and base are cool to the touch, so your fingers will be safe. Also, the base is detachable so that you can put everything else in the dishwasher for cleaning. Neat!
The compact and portable size, valuable extras, reasonable price and the whopping 5-year warranty, make this electric wok one of the best choices on the market today.
5. Breville BEW600XL Hot Wok
- Stainless steel base / Die-cast wok bowl with Quantanium non-stick
- 6 Quart capacity / 14" Diameter (family size)
- Removable temperature control probe
- Cook 'n' Look glass lid
- Dishwasher safe bowl and lid
- 1500W butterfly heating element heats up to 425ºF with 15 precision heat settings.
- Voltage-110 - 120 Volts
The people from Breville are masters of their crafts. Here we have yet another great electric wok. It is generously proportioned so rich and capacitive meals would present no problem to prepare. Needless to say that the interior is coated with a durable and strong non-stick coating, so there will be no need to scrape or brush burnt up food leftovers.
It has a 1500W heating element with 15 highly accurate temperature settings, which include searing. After cooking, just detach the bowl from the base and put it in the dishwasher, together with the lid.
This electric wok is a bit pricey, but it is a high quality and good looking product, so it is worthy of your consideration.
6. West Bend 79586 6-Quart Capacity Electric Wok
- 1,500-watt electric wok heats quickly
- Support ledge keeps foods warm while others cook
- Safe, heat-resistant handles and base
- Non-stick interior, immersible and dishwasher safe
- Easy-to-read adjustable temperature control
This is an electric wok from the “featherweight” category. It offers a large cooking volume but keeps the weight at a minimum, so it’s easily portable. It has a 1500W heating element that sets the wok up for cooking in a matter of seconds.
It comes as standard, when we discuss the electric woks, that the interior is coated with a non-stick layer, so this one is no different. The decorative handles and base are heat-resistant, while the bowl and the lid are dishwasher safe.
The lid is not transparent, so that takes away the possibility to observe the food while it’s cooking. Also, there have been some complaints on the position of the temperature controller which is just under one of the handles, making it a bit difficult to read and operate.
7. Oster 4.5 Liter DuraCeramic Wok
Here we have an electric wok with a 4.5-liter capacity, which is more than enough for a decent lunch. It comes with a tempered glass lid with a steam vent, to savor all the necessary flavors and contain the natural juices. What differentiates this electric wok from the others we’ve seen so far, is the unique and innovative DuraCeramic non-stick ceramic coating.
This special coating makes this wok four times more durable than the other, ordinary non-stick surfaces. It also improves cooking time, by cooking 20% faster. In the long run, this will save you a lot of time and money, especially because it will not flake or peel.
The only customers’ complaints regarding this electric wok are directed towards the location of the temperature adjustment knob, which is just under one of the handles.
8. VillaWare 5530 Classic Electric Wok
- Powerful 1500 watts for fast, searing stir-fry
- Cast-in heating element for fast and even heat up
- Super 3-coat non-stick finish for easiest clean up
- Temperature control probe is removable with easy push release
- Fully immersible, dishwasher safe
The Classic Electric Wok from VillaWare also has a 1500 watt cast-in heating element for fast and even heat up. It is quite large in dimensions, and a bit on the heavy side, so it will stay steady and in place when you toss the food around in it.
It fascinates how the base remains quite cool, so using this wok on a common tabletop would not be a problem. The wok itself is made of die-cast aluminum and has a triple layer non-stick coating.
On the outside we find the adjustable temperature dial, stay cool handles and tempered glass lid on the top. After cooking, remove the wok from the base and put it in the dishwasher.
It has a very heavy price tag, and is also quite difficult to come by, so despite all the pros it possesses, perhaps it is better to look for another option.
9. Starfrit The ROCK Electric Wok
- Patented Rock.Tec surface enhancements
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe
- 1,500W 4.5L
- Adjustable temperature control
- Bakelite handles Nonslip feet ; Model# 024404-002-0000
Here we have another electric wok with a 4.5-liter capacity and a 1500 watt heating element. It features something the manufacturer calls “Roc.Tec” patented technology.
This means that the producer guarantees that the electric wok will always heat evenly will never stick and will never warp its shape.
This is because the cast-aluminum body is 25% thicker than what we find on most other products. On the top, we find the tempered glass lid, while on the sides we find the cool-touch Bakelite handles, and on the bottom, we find the sturdy and non-slip feet, which will keep the wok in its place. The wok is very easy to clean and is dishwasher safe.
It looks a bit boring and sport a slightly heavy price tag, but comes with some aces up its sleeves, so it is worth considering when deciding which your new electric wok will be.
10. Meyer Electric Wok 14″
- Model 48986
- Stainless steel with phenolic handles, knob, base
- Wok is 14" Diameter; Overall height (with lid) 9" H; Cord length 33 1/2" L
- Includes: tempura rack, steaming rack
- Adjustable temperature Simmer to 420 degrees F
This one is the cheapest looking electric wok we’ve seen so far, even though the price doesn’t suggest so.
It has a 14’’ diameter, so it will be just about capable enough to cook a decent meal. It’s made from stainless steel, while the handles, knob, and base are phenolic.
The adjustable temperature knob goes from the “simmer” setting, and up to 420F. Included in the package, we find the steaming and tempura rack, so functionality is a bit broadened.
This electric wok struggles with availability and looks and has an unpopular price tag, so it’s quite difficult to justify purchasing it over nearly any other competitor described previously on our list.