Portable monitors are one of the newest innovations to hit the market. These mobile screens offer more than just a wider display for your laptop. As a matter of fact, a portable monitor also allows you to maximize your productivity at work.
A portable monitor connected to your laptop gives you an additional work space especially when the display size of your notebook is not enough for content you are working on. These monitors are ultra-slim and attach easily to the interface of your laptop and other devices.
A portable monitor is attached to a device through HDMI or USB ports. There are also some that use VGA cables.
If you often need to work with multiple windows, then these type of monitor will easily provide you with a new workspace instead of cramping two windows in your laptop or desktop screen.
With an additional monitor, you will be able to compare content easily; do research on one monitor while working on the other. You can also keep cool and watch a movie on one monitor while working on the other monitor. Smartphones (Android and Apple) can also be connected to portable monitors, so do digital cameras, tablets, and iPods.
6 Best Portable Monitor Reviews In 2017
1. ASUS MB169B+ 15.6″ Full HD Portable Monitor
- 15.6-inch Full HD portable USB-powered monitor with a single USB 3.0 cable for power and data transmission
- World's slimmest and lightest USB monitor with a sleek and metallic finish.It needs just one USB cable for both its video signal and power to deliver up to a Full HD resolution.
- Auto-rotating display bundled with the ASUS Smart Case - a two-way adjustable stand and protective sleeve
- ASUS Rapid Replacement: 3 Years Warranty, 2 way free shipping
- Blue Light Filter - blue light filter minimizes blue light to reduce eyestrain. Please refer the User Manual before use.
The ASUS MB169B+ 15.6″ Portable LED Monitor in full High Definition is perceived as the slimmest (2.3 x 17.2 x 11.7 in) and lightest (1.76 lbs) portable monitor available in the market.
This ASUS monitor uses a single USB cable for power and signal. It is equipped with an IPS panel to provide an impressive 160° (H)/160° (V) viewing angle for clear pictures from multiple angles.
This monitor automatically adjusts its orientation (installation and activation of EzLink Utility required) to either landscape or portrait views for easy reading of content. Comes with the EzLink Technology which equips the monitor with its internal hardware instead of placing a load of an additional monitor in the hardware of your laptop. The built-in internal hardware enables this monitor to be connected to a computer along with five other monitors.
The ASUS MB169B+ 15.6″ Portable LED Monitor comes with a 1920 x 1080 full high definition resolution. It is compatible starting with the Windows 7 OS and newer versions as well as with the Mac OSX and Linux (installation of DisplayLink required).
This Asus portable monitor comes with a carrying case which is also an adjustable monitor stand. The product is bundled with a 3-year manufacturer warranty.
2. Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 14″ Portable Monitor
- 14-inch viewable image size
- Display resolution of 1366 x 768 matching mainstream Notebook resolution
- Light weight (monitor: 0.84kg/1.8lbs; with Screen Cover: 1.02kg/2.25lbs)
- Photo frame tilt stand adjustments for viewing comfort (12 degree~40 degree)
- Brightness adjustment button for 16 level brightness, USB 2.0 connection, USB powered
The Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 14″ Portable Monitor may be thin (13.2 x 0.8 x 0.9 inches) and lightweight (1.9 pounds) but it is a heavy duty portable monitor.
This all matte finish (body and screen) monitor uses Y cable with one USB (v. 2.0) port plugged to the monitor for power and data transfer. The other end of the Y-cable is two USB plugs (for use with old model laptops; new models only need one USB plug) which are attached to the laptop.
The display resolution (1366 x 768) of this portable screen can match that of a Notebook. It also comes with a 16-option adjustable brightness level button.
Although this unit comes with drivers only for Windows, you can use this monitor with a Mac laptop by simply downloading and installing the needed software (version 1.6 of the DisplayLink, USB driver).
The Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 14″ Portable Monitor comes in a black chassis with a small box at the rear where the USB port is located. Also at the rear part of the monitor is a sturdy bendable stand (similar to that of a picture frame) for easy viewing. This portable screen has a detachable protective front cover that easily slides through the screen.
Detach the front cover and it can be used as a base for the monitor. The monitor though will stand on its own on any flat surface. The all matte finish of this monitor enables it to give wide viewing angles with clear pictures even at more than 450 on both sides.
3. GeChic 1303H 13.3″ Portable Monitor
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution and True Color (16.7M) for stunning color performance
- Connects to Mac Mini, MacBook's, Laptops, Smartphones, Cameras, Game Consoles, Tricaster Mini, and other devices via HDMI, VGA, Mini Display
- Plug and Play with no driver installations needed; powers on automatically
- Compact and light design, weighs only 1.32 lbs., comes with an aluminum cover
- IPS 178 Degrees Wide-Viewing-Angle Panel and Speakers: 2x 1.0W(Max.) (Rated Impedance 4Ω at 2KHz)
The GeChic 1303H 13.3″ Portable Monitor is a versatile portable monitor. First, it connects to laptops that are both Windows and Mac based, digicams (HDMI enabled), Android (microUSB to HDMI adapter required) and Apple (Lightning connector to add an HDMI port to the device required) smartphones, game consoles (PS4 or Xbox One with no screen lag) and other devices either through Mini Display (for Apple devices), HDMI or VGA.
This monitor is equipped with a color correction function (adjust color, saturation, and hue using the controls of the monitor and not with software as with other monitors). It comes with a backlit LED and a viewing angle of up to 1780 plus two built-in 1W speakers and a headphone jack.
The GeChic 1303H 13.3″ Portable Monitor comes with HDMI, a microUSB and power cables.
Once connected to a device, this monitor does not require any driver installation; it is a Plug and Play device which will automatically run once connected.
This mini portable monitor comes with a screen cover which doubles both as a protective cover and a monitor stand with three different angle positions: 530, 620 and 720. It also has provisions for wall mounting.
The MIMO UM-710S 7″ Swivel Mini Display comes with 800×480 resolution. This Plug and Play portable monitor runs through a high-speed USB 2.0 and is powered by the DisplayLink Technology. The DisplayLink Technology uses a USB cable for both power and connection to a laptop.
With dimensions of 7.1 x 5.5 x 1 inches and weighing only 1 pound, this monitor has both landscape and portrait orientations. This mini monitor can swivel up to 900 for added comfort and precision.
The UM-710S USB Powered 7″ Swivel LCD Screen Mini Display comes with a protective cover and stand. This monitor is 7.1 x 5.5 x 1 inches and is one pounder. The package also includes an Installation Disk and an Owner’s Manual.
5. ETTG GAEMS T905 11.6″ Portable Gaming Monitor for PS4
- Officially Licensed by SCEA.Fits perfectly to the PS4 console
- Full 1080p HD video quality with HDMI input on 11.6" LCD screen
- Compact and portable
- Built in stereo speakers and dual audio output jacks
- HIGH QUALITY BACKED with RELIABLE WARRANTY: 100% Brand New and High quality from ETTG. ETTG offers 12 months Warranty and 30 days free exchange for all the ETTG products which are built with the highest quality standards and we stand behind for best after service
The ETTG GAEMS T905 11.6″ Portable Gaming Monitor has a high definition 1080p resolution, perfect for PS4 gaming. It easily attaches to the PS4 system (shape and width are the same).
This gaming monitor will not alter the portability of your gaming console because it can be folded and will add only about 1.25 inches to the height of the console. It also works well for Bluray videos. Settings can easily be adjusted through its HDMI input.
This portable monitor is equipped with built-in high-quality sound speakers and two headphone jacks. Headphone jacks can also be used for external speakers.
This portable monitor is licensed under Sony Computer Entertainment of America (SCEA), the makers of the PlayStation brand.
Although the ETTG GAEMS T905 11.6″ is a portable gaming monitor, you can very well use it with your laptops and tablets with Bluetooth function. This mini monitor is also compatible with iPhones, iPods, iPad and most Android-based tablets (iOS 4.3 and above / Android 3.2 and above).
6. Lilliput 7-inch Video Monitor UM70
- Screen size (diagonal): 7 inches
- Aspect ratio: 16:9 - Contrast radio 250:1
- Resolution (pixels): 800 x 480 (fixed)
- LCD backlight: LED
- Power Over USB. No external power adapters needed. Requires USB 2.0 Mini-B (5 position) Male cable
The Lilliput 7-inch Monitor UM70 is a perfect second monitor for your laptop. It only requires a USB cable for power and content transfer from your Windows computer (no need for VGA or power cables).
This portable monitor is the smallest and cheapest 7-inch Liliput LCD monitor. This mini monitor is extremely popular as a digital signage and advertisement display in retail establishments.
The Lilliput 7-inch Monitor UM70 comes with a convenient built-in peg type stand. It also comes with an adjustable display angle and easily shifts from portrait to landscape modes. You can simultaneously connect up to 5 of these monitors as well as other USB-based monitors to a single Windows computer (Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7).
With a display resolution of 800×480 pixels, it works very well for videos, photo viewing, and spreadsheets. For a brighter screen display, this mini monitor is equipped with a LED backlight.
A portable monitor benefits anybody who works with a computer either in the workplace, at home or almost anywhere. These mini monitors feature not only portability but productivity as well because it can be used as a second monitor for a laptop or desktop computer. It also functions as a gaming monitor.
Some of these portable monitors are compatible with Android and iOS based smartphones and digital cameras.
In choosing a portable monitor, size, connectivity and resolution are major aspects to consider. Almost all portable monitors are either 15.6 or 17.3 inch.
Connection options are mostly with a USB port or HDMI although there are a few that have VGA connections. Portable monitors come with either HD or FHD resolutions. Portable monitors with higher resolutions are of course more expensive.
There is some portable that has their internal hardware so as not to consume hardware of the computer. This enables multiple monitors to be connected to one computer.